Boonsboro Country Club is a great Lynchburg wedding venues. What would eventually become Boonsboro Country Club was a large, working farm from 1800 to 1923. Francis Thornton Meriwether’s wife Catharine Elizabeth Davies gave 1,028 acres to him as her dower. In 1793 bricks, hardware, and slate for a roof were ordered from England and arrived on site in 1796. Named after a Scottish castle in Mr. Meriwether’s lineage, “Sholto”, as the home was called, was completed in 1800.
On July 26, 1910 William Douglas Meriwether, James Addison Meriwether, Catherine Bernice Meriwether and William Harris Rucker conveyed 300 acres and Sholto to JohnTinsley Rucker and his wife, Katherine Dawson Rucker. The Rucker family lived at theresidence and continued to operate the farm until 1923.
Sholto was a center-hall plan home with connecting stairs from the ground level to the third floor. The two wings (the Ballroom and Men’s Locker Room) were not part of the original building, as well as, the main entrance as we know it today, was simply a window, with the front door to the house being a little to the right of today’s main entrance, centering it with the house.
The ground floor (the present day Grille) was divided into the kitchen, a family dining room, and two storage rooms. Food was prepared on a large, wood-burning cook stove. The storage rooms, or root cellars, were used to preserve farm produce and ample shelving provided storage for other kitchen supplies. This area had two entrances, one from the back and one from the east side of the house.
The first floor was entered from the center of a wooden porch on the front of the house. The front door opened into the first floor foyer and faced the existing staircase. This area contained a parlor, a company dining room on the left, a master bedroom, and a smaller room that eventually became their first indoor bathroom (the present day Library or Red Room).
The steps going to the second floor led to a wide hall that was used as a sitting room and four large bedrooms, which today are used for staff offices. The third level was a large bedroom, but was removed during the 1929 renovation.
Without electricity, running water, or indoor plumbing, oil lamps provided most of the indoor lighting and fireplaces heated the house. Water was brought in from a well in the backyard (present day parking lot and golf shop), but was eventually pumped inside the house, along with the addition of a bathroom off the first floor master bedroom, in the early 1900′s.
Standing on the present day porch and looking out down BCC Drive, which follows the same path as it did over 200 years ago, it’s not difficult to understand the lay of the property. The lawn in front of the house was a large fenced in area. To the right stretched pastureland for the dairy cows. Crops were grown on both sides of the road from the area near the house to the present day Boonsboro Road. A large garden was planted in the area to the left of the house across the road, while the horse barn and tenant farmer’s home were beyond the garden in the vicinity of the present day #8 fairway.
If you would like to find more information about this Lynchburg Wedding Venue, just go to Boonsboro Country Club’s website